Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Moeder Experience

After a quite successful event in front of the European Commission building, to welcome Mr. K in Brussels (so he didn't have the feeling that only Barroso and Rasmussen were happy to have him in town), it was time to celebrate this in a more private atmosphere.
As one of my colleagues, I mean the US/UK guy in Brussels, who is the probably best expert on Belgian beers in Europe (you have to check out his blog), knows that I am also quite a big fan of beers, he decided to take us to the best beer place in Brussels: The Moeder Lambic Fontainas. As I tweeted yesterday already, this is my new favourite place in town: 46 beers on draught, unbelievable!!!!!!!
Moeder.png
Though I already tried some Belgian beers before (as you might imagine), it was my first event that really got deeper into the "mysteries" of Belgian beer. As a German and a fan of English Ale/Irish Stout, I was quite curious and at the same time still sceptical regarding the famous brews of our neighbours: A non-Belgian always complains about the uniqueness of the German "Reinheitsgebot", compares Belgian beers with Inbev and, finally, remembers the Asterix story, where you always have to run to the toilet after some glasses of beer.
From Mike.jpeg






So, guess what: .... I was thrilled by the stuff tasted :-)
Zeezuiper.png
It started with a Zeezuiper from the small micro brewery Scheldebrouwerij in Meer, near Antwerpen.
This was an amazing beer, aromatic, with the taste of fruits, combined with a distinct yeast finish. Though not a light one with 8%, you did not taste the alcohol at all. The finish then is slightly different, because it is a bitter one, but not intense.
The next remarkable one is a classical Brussels beer, the so-called Lambic.
Lambic.png
I tried a Lambic Cantillon. Not so much alcohol as the classical Belgian beers (5%), the waitress warned me when I ordered it: "Did you have it before already? It might taste very strange to someone, who never tried it!" This announcement was even more a challenge :-) The taste is really unusual, having in mind the "normal" taste of beer: very sour and dry, close to a fresh squeeze of lemon. Let me give the explanation why: Unlike conventional ales and lagers, which are fermented by carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, lambic beer is instead produced by spontaneous fermentation: it is exposed to the wild yeasts and bacteria that are said to be native to the Senne valley, in which Brussels lies. It is this unusual process which gives the beer its distinctive flavour. The first two sips were unusual, then simply great.
The last remarkable one (I had others, too, of course) was another one from Schelderbrouwerij, the so-called Oesterstout.
Stout.png
Yes, another "Wow". As a big fan of the Isle's stouts, I was very curious what the Belgians could create with this dark beer: of course a lot of more alcohol (instead of 4,2% 8,5%) a marvelous mix between sweetness and bitterness. It reminded me of a dark chocolate, combined with a (sea)-salty finish, probably great with seafood like oysters or mussels.
I did not only drink, but also had a snack: Moeder has a delicious variety of cheese and sausages, perfect partner for the wonderful beers :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment